header01

Monday, August 22, 2011

Surrendering to the Cute of it.

I've been at this mothering gig for 13 and a half years now. And when I first held a squalling red newborn in my arms (all 4lb 7oz of her) I decided that I would not push stereotypical pink outfits on her. Or dolls. Or headbands on her bald head. I wouldn't buy Barbies. I wouldn't read Shirley Barber books.


But what amazed me was how children naturally gravitate towards gender stereotypical toys on their own. I didn't push pink or dolls on Jessie. But Jessie wanted them anyway. And three daughters later when I finally gave birth to a son we certainly had a surplus of dress up shoes (which I still maintain are the most ridiculous girls toy ever - plastic high heels that snap in three seconds hooray) but Alex would reach for a truck. Or a matchbox car.

Reuben (my fifth child) is mostly similar although he has a serious love for the colour pink. So much so that he often tells me - loudly, and in public - that he's so glad we "have a pink baby". This mortifies me because while I realise he means a GIRL baby who we dress in pink I'm concerned that others will misinterpret it to be some kind of racial thing. Which it's not. So if any one sees a little boy in glasses with dirt on him somewhere asking lots of questions of a frazzled looking 30 year old woman toting a 'pink baby' - that's us.

Six children down the track - my last baby, my 'finale' - I threw all of that out the window and decided sod it. Evie is dressed in a wardrobe of outfits in varying shades of pink with a plethora of cutesy hats and headbands. I'm sure soon enough she'll be like all my children tearing headbands and hats off their heads (Don't they KNOW about sun awareness!) so I figure I've got to get in as many cute headbands as possible.

And she doesn't look like she minds too much anyway.


Evie 14weeksblog


Evie14weeks2blog
Evie is wearing headbands from Petite Bling. Find them on Facebook!

6 comments:

Melitta August 22, 2011 at 8:58 PM  

Hehehehe this blog post made me laugh! You so have to LOVE Reuben and his ways. Cooper also LOVES pink and that Scarlett wears pink. Although he's never referred to her as a "pink" baby. I say the bigger the better with the head bands and go for gold! She looks adorable in them all.

xoxo<3

Baa-Me Kniits August 22, 2011 at 9:58 PM  

Oh my I want a baby girl.....my hubby just saw these photos and he is smitten too.....adorable :-)

IamMel August 22, 2011 at 11:42 PM  

She is the cutest little thing ever!! I adore her big grin, her eyes light up the photo.

Alex Castle August 23, 2011 at 1:00 AM  

What a cutie! Love that smile in the last one :)

Melanie Kellermann August 23, 2011 at 8:44 AM  

Aw she is the cutest little girl! Love the last pic....so adorable..

Kirsten August 23, 2011 at 11:27 AM  

Oh what a beautiful little girl!!

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP